Flanked by the New Forest on one side and the Purbecks on the other, we love our local area and can tell you plenty of its secrets. So we've come up with a list of '10 things to do when you're staying in sunny Bournemouth'! Whole heartedly recommended by us, the Urban Crew!
Some of us here have been in Dorset for all of our lives, others came to visit the area and have never left. Once you get here and experience what the area has to offer you can understand why we love where we live and we think you would love it too.
We were asked to put together a few things we like to do on our days off, it was tough to choose only 10 items with Dorset being such a rich and varied county, but these are some of our suggestions. This list is by no means exhaustive, there are plenty more things to do; with the kids, as a couple, to relax or to get active, just ask, we have a loads of ideas.
So, in no particular order, here they are:
- 1) Have a pint of ale in the pub garden at the Bankes Arms, Studland. This pub has so much choice, it's a great treat at the end of a gentle hike out to Old Harry's Rocks. The views back across the bay are spectacular.
- 2) Enjoy a dinner to the setting sun on the balcony at our beachfront restaurant Urban Reef checking out the best view in town. Local and seasonal food, produced with love served in a friendly, relaxed atmosphere.
- 3) Take a guided tour of the Isle Purbecks with Tim at Discover Dorset, we did and we loved it. The Jurassic coast is the only natural world heritage site in the UK and it is really mesmerising, you donít have to be a geologist to enjoy it. The tour takes you to all the hot spots, with tit bits of information along the way. Do make sure you visit Durdle Door a natural arch in the sea, so magnificent it deserves a spot of its own on our list.
- 4) See Durdle Door, hike down to the beautiful coloured pebbles on the beach and stare out to sea through the striking relic. For some of us this is actually our favourite place on Earth.
- 5) Eat a slab of Kay's carrot cake, available from the Urban Reef deli. Freshly baked on site Kay makes a great selection of sweet treats. Join her on facebook to see what hair brained cup cakes she has created this week!
- 6) Take a walk out to Hengistbury Head and the beautiful coloured beach huts on Mudeford sandspit.
- 7) See the Jurassic coastline from the water on the Poole Sea Safari, as seen on our episode of Four in a Bed! A couple of hours bombing it around on the water. Don't worry they supply the water proofs : )
- 8) Take a drive around Sandbanks and wistfully view where the footballers live. Rumour has it, Sandbanks is one of the most expensive and exclusive places to live in the world. Go and have a peek.
- 9) Start on your way to becoming a pro surfer, take a surfing lesson with our good friends at Sorted Surf
(Kids lessons start from around £15 for two hours running daily over holidays and adults from £30. Booking is essential) or
Surf Steps right from Boscombe pier. Be honest, it's everyone's dream!
- 10) Go for a drive around the New Forest. Visit the pubs, see the freely roaming ponies and take in this vastly different landscape. Borrow some wellies from the hotel and go for a walk too.
If you see anything you would like to do and want us to book it for you, we will. Give us a call us on 01202 301509 or when you're staying, pop down to reception and we'll be very happy to help.